Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A dabble with APIs?

So like most of those sharing the class with me in Digital Media Technologies, I’m pondering what kind of website I would like to create.

One thing that has been of particular interest to me, and at this stage has almost totally eluded me is being able to pull in information from API’s. I have made a few stunted attempts, but so far have failed miserably.

So with 2011 being a new year, this seems like the perfect opportunity to break that barrier and have a greater understanding of how I can use different API’s to feed content to, or enhance what data we already have.

But what to do!

Should I choose one API Provider, like Flickr, and make something cool and unusual, perhaps with some sweet HTML5 twist.

Or should I see if I can interface with a number of different APIs, and trying to build and filter the data in a meaningful way in a simpler mashup?

Programmable Web has a great rundown on some of the most popular api’s.

Twitter and YouTube seem like the easy options. But I think this needs more investigate. And from what little I’ve read so far, it looks like I need to learn more about XML before I start.

No comments: